What are the requirements to become a general contractor??
To become a general contractor, you need at least a high school diploma, but there is an increase in a need for a bachelor's degree or at least an associate degree, plus years of construction industry experience. Regardless of education though, experience in the industry is the most important requirement. Next: View Schools.
Are general contractors required to have a license??
To get a contractor license, start by deciding if you want to be classified as a general contractor or as a specialty contractor, which may include concrete, demolition, or electrical. Contractors must obtain a business license, but not every pro needs a contractor’s license. learn about Contractor Licensing.
How do you get General Contractors License??
- Provide a description of the work and services you aim to perform.
- Specify the classification of license you are applying for.
- Clarify your business structure and provide additional company information.
- Identify and verify by affidavit that the applicant or member of your business entity is financially stable.
How to become a licensed contractor??
- Continuous contractor surety bond or assignment of savings.
- Certificate of general liability insurance.
- A check or money order payable to the Department of Labor & Industries.